Saturday, October 18, 2008

why blacks vote democrat

A lot of people wonder why black people always vote for Democrats and outside of the historical view I can offer my own opinion. To some blacks the Republican party seems a party mostly concerned with the welfare of the white and rich and a friend of business over the little man. What always puzzled me was when did black people switch to the Democratic party.

I have been reading some things and I have discovered that black people started to vote Democrat when President Franklin D. Roosevelt came into office in 1933

"Blacks did not come into the Democratic Party until Roosevelt's New Deal began
in 1933, and even then it was very slow. The Democratic Party in the South was
organized like a private club that banned all but whites. Any black who had the
temerity to challenge the system might end up being jailed, or in some extreme
cases, pay with his life"-
Thomas Fleming

No comments: